(From left) Adriana Camarena and Dyne Biancardi stand by Tana Hampton as she addresses the media on Oct. 10. Photo: Gabriel Vargas

After news reports began to circulate of SFPD shooting a man at 23rd and Mission streets on the morning of Dec. 7, a peaceful protest was held at the Mission Police Station on the evening of, Dec. 9, where the shooting victim’s mother—alongside members of the community who have been impacted by police violence—revealed previously unknown details regarding the shooting. 

In a last-minute announcement, the victim’s mother, Tana Hampton, appeared at the rally emotionally distraught as to what has happened to her son, who she revealed to be Jamiaca Hampton, a 24-year-old hailing from Sacramento, California. She also revealed she has not been allowed to visit her son in the hospital and only found out what had happened to her son three days after the shooting took place.

“I want to see my son’s face to know he is okay,” Hampton’s mother said. “And the police will not let me in.”

Hours after the shooting, SFPD announced that at “approximately 8:34 AM, officers responded to a call at 23rd Street and Capp Street regarding a report of a hot prowl burglary. The officers made contact with a person matching the description of a suspect. The suspect assaulted the officers with a weapon. An officer involved shooting occurred. The suspect and an officer were transported to a hospital. Their conditions are unknown at this time.”

But aside from this information, SFPD has revealed little else. Eyewitness Elizabeth Bell, who spoke with Tim Redmond of 48hills, said that he “was bleeding from the torso. The cops had their blue gloves on but none of them made any effort to help him. They seemed to be busy looking under cars…He was lying on the ground, and was unarmed.”

Tana Hampton holds a picture of her son, Jamaica Hampton, who was shot by SFPD. Photo: Gabriel Vargas

The rally had a number of speakers addressing the media about the incident. Each speaker had a tie to recent police shooting victims that have happened in the city in the past years. All the speakers have condemned the incidents that have taken place, demanding justice for Hampton.

Community advocate Adriana Camarena, called for the officers involved in the shooting to be fired, and cited the incident as being similar to recent police shooting victims such as Luis Gongora Pat and Alex Nieto. Camarena believes these police shootings will not stop until police officers are held accountable for the incidents.

“We are convinced that these incidents will continue to take place in San Francisco, until there are criminal consequences for the officers involved in these shootings and until we see these officers fired,” Camarena said.

Community organizers rallied in front of San Francisco General Hospital on the morning of Dec. 11. Camarena, who attended the rally, confirmed that Hampton is still in critical condition, and that his doctor is allowing his family to visit. 

Camarena also confirmed that Hampton has a patient advocate with the Do No Harm Coalition—a team of healers, health workers and activists that was founded in May 2016 in response to police violence in San Francisco and the 17-day hunger strike by the “Frisco 5.”  Due to community efforts, Hampton is no longer in police custody, meaning he was guarded by police up until Dec. 11.

Tana described her son as being an athletic good young man, someone who is non violent. Months before being shot by police, Hampton appeared in a video back in October by CityTeam—a nondenominational Christian nonprofit that assists people who are experiencing homelessness, poverty, hunger and addiction across five U.S. cities.

In the video, Hampton described his story of growing up in a troubled home and his wish to help homeless people and mentor the youth.

“I can be an example of what not to do, but also be an example of how to get back on your feet,” Hampton said in the video.

In the video, Hampton described his childhood as being a difficult one, living in a drug house as a child, and at times being homeless. He goes on to say how he was put into the foster care system at age 12 and being separated from his siblings.

“Growing up tough, I remember being homeless a lot,” Hampton said in the video. “It seemed normal at the time.”

In the video, Hampton also opens up about his own struggles with addiction and his battle with alcoholism that started when he was 21. His alcoholism would eventually lead to depression, which cumulated with Hampton attempting suicide and entering bouts of homelessness as an adult.

Hampton would eventually find support through CityTeam. 

“This is like a family environment,” Hampton continued in the video. “Something great”

Tana Hampton was accompanied by Dyne Biancardi, a lawyer based out of San Francisco. Though Biancardi stated that she cannot represent the Hamptons legally, she will informally help them with matters pertaining to the shooting as an advocate. Biancardi has revealed that though Hampton was shot eight times, he was hit 3 bullets, with one bullet hitting him in the leg.

“Now that he has been shot in the leg, he is not going to be able to continue as an athlete or bodybuilding,” Biancardi said. “The hobbies that he enjoys.”

Biancardi also revealed that medical officials believe Hampton will most likely survive the shooting.

“It’s unlikely he will be able to walk in the same way, but they did say it is hopeful he will live,” Biancardi said. 

Biancardi added that Hampton “has been speaking a little bit, but he is very disoriented.”

Tana Hampton is hopeful she will be able to see her son in the coming days.

“I’m gonna be here until my son is able to see me,” she said. “It’s not right for a mother not to see her son”

The San Francisco Police Department themselves have not released any information regarding the incident, proclaiming they will make an official announcement within 10 days of the shooting incident.