Editorial Independence Statement
El Tecolote has full authority over our original editorial content to protect the integrity of our mission driven journalistic interests. As El Tecolote continues to grow beyond its 50th anniversary, we reaffirm our commitment to represent and uplift the diversity among our audience within our storytelling and our newsroom. We are proud to serve as a training ground for aspiring journalists, photographers, illustrators and translators in a dedicated effort to support the diversification of the greater media landscape.
El Tecolote newspaper seeks to educate and advocate for the Latino community, immigrants, communities of color and minorities. We envision neighborhoods where multilingualism is valued, where small businesses are stable, where art and culture are robust, where educational institutions thrive and where local Latino history is documented and celebrated.
Because of this, we avoid publishing any advertisements for any industry that makes our readership vulnerable to scams, fraud or abuse, as well as anything that goes against our mission of cultural empowerment. Ads published in El Tecolote do not necessarily reflect the views of the newspaper’s staff, volunteers, or its publisher Acción Latina.
El Tecolote newspaper will not publish ads that fall into any of the following categories:
– Ads for alcohol (beer, wine, tequila, etc.)
– Ads for cigarettes or tobacco products
– Ads for adult services, or jobs in the adult entertainment industry (massage, escorts, strip clubs, etc.)
– Ads for spiritual services (palm readers, tarot readers, astrologists, shamans and curanderos, mind readers, predicting future, religious bookstores, etc.)
– Ads for lottery and gambling
– Ads that in any way condone or promote the abuse of animals or the environment (animal testing labs, circuses and theme parks that display wild/endangered animals)
– Messages that demean or promote prejudice and/or hatred or exclusion of any ethnic, religious, racial, gender or age groups
– Potentially libelous messages
– Ads that contribute to police violence and to the over policing of our communities (police recruiting ads)
Sponsorship & Donor Transparency
El Tecolote accepts corporate sponsorships and underwriting, and runs sponsored content that is clearly differentiated from news stories. We also accept gifts, grants and sponsorships from individuals, organizations, foundations, and public agencies. We retain the right to reject sponsored content that doesn’t meet our editorial standards.
Accepting financial support does not mean El Tecolote endorses donors or their products, services or opinions. We make our editorial decisions independently – without the influence of donors or any revenue source. We make public all revenue sources and donors who give $5,000 or more per year, and acknowledge funders who help us fund special coverage within those specific and limited stories. We do not give supporters the rights to assign, review or edit content.